[TheList] Fwd: Tait FENZ Selcall - Meaning of Status Messages

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:22:53 AEDT 2022

Just a comment,
There's two common programming sets on FENZ LMR... basically 'red fleet'
(trucks)' and 'white fleet' (cars and executives).
Due to a limited amount of programmable memory and/or combinations of tones
available (IIRC?) the programming differs. White fleet radios can't
transmit the codes for arrival messages (K55 66 77 88 99) and Red fleet
radios can't transmit some other codes including, for example, K6.
So you may hear a fire appliance verbally indicating 'K6', usually with a
time attached, and Comms will manually set their status to 'available on
pager'.  Which tells ICAD not to indicate a verbal dispatch as being
required, and they're off-station so their bells won't go up, but pagers
will still go off etc.  When not K6 (away from truck) they're either in the
appliance K4/K3 (and so someone's listening to the radio) or they're on
station (K7 or K9 if at someone elses station on cover).  Truck on K7 or K9
will set off relevant station bells and PA on dispatch.

White fleet vehicles such as those operated by support staff (VSO's and
Fire Investigators) aren't kept on station specifically, they could be
anywhere, so their default 'off the air but available' position is K8 (on
pager) and so their radios use this all the time. They're not
first-response appliances so they usually don't need to transmit arrival
messages. So it makes sense.

There used be a K8 code which was 'available at residence' and when you
were at your normal home this would be your state, this also meant you
could be turned out by phonecall at a known location... this pretty much
stopped being used for this purpose when pagers became universal and
commonplace, so the K8 code was officially retired not too long ago.

So K6 is regularly used but not by front-line appliances that are
permanently manned... it represents any vehicle available for dispatch
where the radio is not being actively monitored and thus would be for
almost any scenario _except_ when on station.

The mobility devices that're starting to go out into appliances aren't yet
replacing LMR but I imagine that some form of digital status signalling
will be deployed when the analogue network is retired, presumably when it's
replaced with NGCC.  For the time being the status quo continues.

Cheers
Mark.