[TheList] ***SPAM*** Re: Tait FENZ Selcall Setup

DogSecurity - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Fri Oct 4 14:59:28 AEST 2019

Hi team,

Prepare for a big one...

I've seen setups that can do 13tone 'ANI Decode' for potentially a
couple of appliances - one line for each status of the appliance (this
was a FENZ members own vehicle and he was only interested in decoding
appliances from his and nearby stations) OR you can do a pile of
appliances on the acknowledgement status which is 5tone.

It's important to remember that the 8200s will only do up to _*300 ANI
Decodes across ALL networks*_.

As Brendan mentioned, Fire use 3 types of selcall.. Stations are
standard CCIR 5tone, Support vehicles use 13tone, and appliances also
use 13tone... One of the types of 13tone is not CCIR if I remember
correctly. If you have one of the Seldec units from ANZAC Comms, you can
see all numbers which makes this process a lot easier, although the chap
with the software he was testing will be able to do the same thing - his
decoded numbers may be different depending what CCIR format he's chosen
to use)  [refer to  this email list from December 2010 with why there
are different formats
http://radiowiki.org.nz/pipermail/thelist_radiowiki.org.nz/2010-December/001033.html
]

You'd need to keep on top of vehicle movements and adjust your ANI
decode list. IE if say HAMI411 became CHAR427 permanently.. And my REGN
vehicles I leave as they are or it gets confusing.. IE REGN206 was
running as CHAR427 recently. Also another problem I have (here in
Hamilton at least) is that because I'm decoding the 5tone
acknowledgement I can only decode the waikato appliances. The 13tone
status is sent and audible, but the 5tone acknowledgement from
tauranga/Rotorua/Tokoroa/Taupo votegroups isn't retransmitted on the 3
'Hamilton' repeaters. This could absolutely be the case in your area.
Given you're called Scan CHCH I'll take a wild guess and assume you're
in Christchurch... I understand for the most part your audio is South
Island wide turnouts.  You may see something similar to this, or maybe
you won't hear the 13tone TX OR the 5tone ack from someone outside of
your area.

I can't help with the ID numbers, that's an exercise for the reader.
However, a quick 5tone acknowledgement guide (I won't show the FENZ
members way of doing things, sorry) and this is all done in the
Conventional tab.  This is also using the Seldec4 way of doing 13/5tone
- this is NOT the way FENZ do things (see the December 2010 email above
for why) but everything will decode, whether it's
support/station/appliance transmitting the tones.

1)  Go to Selcall > Selcall Identity and add RRRRR--S as the RX format.
2) Selcall > Status Labels should be set as in the below table

Value 	Label
0 	Station | K55
1 	Turnout | K1
2 	Pager LOS | K2
3 	KeyCbnt | K3
4 	Pgr RetOS | K4
5 	Manual | K22
6 	Pwr Fail | K7
7 	Low Batt | K7
8 	Pager | K77
9 	Brglr | K9
10 	K88
11 	** PRIORITY **
12 	Routine
13 	K99

   On the RHS of the pipe ( | ) is the Station 5tone ack, LHS of the
pipe is the appliance/support vehicle 5tone ack.  The ones on their own
(K88 etc) is Appliance only 5tone.

3) Selcall > Tone Settings.

   CCIR 20ms, gap 20, Lead-in and out I have set to 500 and 100
respectively.  Group format International.

4) Networks tab..  I have 3 networks currently.. 1 is labelled None, 2
is labelled FireWBOP and 3 is labelled FireAuck

Network 1 settings - Signalling type set to None

Network 2 settings - Selcall, Signalling ID set to 1

Network 3 settings - Selcall, Signalling ID set to 1

5) Network > Features.  Enable Display Incoming ID, ANI Decode tab is
about to become your friend... Note the Networks dropdown list at the
bottom.
a couple of examples I have is below

Label 	ANI Sequence
NGA STN Ack 	15433
NGA STN 	18433
PUKE431 	C57D0
TAUP217 	C5672

I don't always see the ACK from the station, so I'm adding these in as I
see them.

6) Channels - I'm assuming you already have channels... Under Network on
the channel list, choose a network.. IE under my Fire zone
(Waikato/BOP/TOK/Taupo fire vote channels) I have the network all set to
2 - FireWBOP.  This allows me to break each appliance into a region, and
means that if there happened to be any double ups in the Networks >
Features >  ANI DECODE list between FireWBOP and FireAuck, they can be
named correctly.  Remember you can only have up to *300* entries in the
ANI Decode list and those 300 are for*ALL NETWORKS.
*

7) Start monitoring the channel... as the radio decodes the 5tone
acknowledgements from the station/vehicles, it will show 2 lines... The
5tone acknowledgement string (we want to refer to it as the ANI
Sequence) and the second line will be the status as from step 2.  Look
out for the Routine status and then listen out for who replies... this
will allow you to build up a list of who's who... Google Keep is my
friend with this, I quickly note down the appliance and the string.  IE
if you see C502A Routine.. I would hear 'firecomms, Hamilton Airport
6819 blah blah'   I go to the ANI Decode tab, add a label as HAMI6819
and ANI Sequence of C502A, save and reprogram your radio to view the
changes.

*deep breath*    OK I think that pretty much covers everything....  Have
fun ;)

Richard.