[TheList] Fwd: Tait FENZ Selcall - Meaning of Status Messages

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:37:02 AEDT 2022

I reread my earlier message, my first reference to K8 should be K6. Oops.

If I had to have an opinion i'd suspect that simplex IGC channels are 'good
enough' and I don't see a wholesale move to networking fireground
channels...  when everyone you want to talk to is within a small radius,
and you don't have to deal with network engagement delay or channel latency
(features of digital networks i've used - P25 and DMR) I don't know that
the incremental benefit of network-extended range is worth the down-sides.
But I really am just expressing a personal opinion.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 at 15:35, DogSecurity - Richard <
richard at dogsecurity.co.nz> wrote:

> [...]
>> required, and they're off-station so their bells won't go up, but pagers
>> will still go off etc.  When not K6 (away from truck) they're either in the
>> appliance K4/K3 (and so someone's listening to the radio) or they're on
>> station (K7 or K9 if at someone elses station on cover).  Truck on K7 or K9
>> will set off relevant station bells and PA on dispatch.
>>
>> White fleet vehicles such as those operated by support staff (VSO's and
>> Fire Investigators) aren't kept on station specifically, they could be
>> anywhere, so their default 'off the air but available' position is K8 (on
>> pager) and so their radios use this all the time. They're not
>> first-response appliances so they usually don't need to transmit arrival
>> messages. So it makes sense.
>>
>> There used be a K8 code which was 'available at residence' and when you
>> were at your normal home this would be your state, this also meant you
>> could be turned out by phonecall at a known location... this pretty much
>> stopped being used for this purpose when pagers became universal and
>> commonplace, so the K8 code was officially retired not too long ago.
>>
>> So K6 is regularly used but not by front-line appliances that are
>> permanently manned... it represents any vehicle available for dispatch
>> where the radio is not being actively monitored and thus would be for
>> almost any scenario _except_ when on station.
>>
>> The mobility devices that're starting to go out into appliances aren't
>> yet replacing LMR but I imagine that some form of digital status signalling
>> will be deployed when the analogue network is retired, presumably when it's
>> replaced with NGCC.  For the time being the status quo continues.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mark.
>>
>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 at 20:41, DogSec - Richard <richard at dogsecurity.co.nz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> And looks like I've made a mistake on my list, and it's been wrong in my
>>> radio for years... heh
>>>
>>> Value     Label
>>>
>>> 6           Pwr Failure | K66/OnPager  (there's a limit on characters
>>> that can be entered into this field so this won't fit)
>>>
>>> OnPager would only be used by the likes of your Fire Investigators,
>>> General managers etc (let's call them specialty appliances) as they carry
>>> pagers and only turn out when requested.
>>>
>>> With the introduction of mobility tablets, it's feasible that you may
>>> hear tones less often - that was certainly the case when St John started
>>> using them.
>>>
>>> Richard
>>> On 3/02/2022 7:49 pm, BJ wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just read a guide that Richard posted a while back on how to setup a
>>> TM8200 to decode the 5-tone acknowledgement string from comms.
>>> (
>>> https://radiowiki.org.nz/pipermail/thelist_radiowiki.org.nz/2019-October/003891.html
>>> )
>>>
>>> He mentions that the status codes to program are as follows...

>>> 1 	Turnout | K1
>>> 2 	Pager LOS | K2
>>> 3 	KeyCbnt | K3
>>> 4 	Pgr RetOS | K4