[TheList] DMR Radio - Wellington

Paul Miller misc748 at actrix.co.nz
Sat Aug 15 08:54:29 AEST 2020

Hi Dan,

You are correct about the overseas talkgoups being for Hotspot use.

The NZ DMR network was set up for AREC and General Amateur Radio use
within New Zealand.

The other thing to note is the lack of resources on a single site DMR
repeater.

A single site only has two time slots and as such can only support two
users at the same time.

The ZL and Local talkgroups are assigned to time slot 2 and all the
others talkgroups, ZK, WW, WWE, UAE1, UAE2, DMR+SP are assigned to time
slot 1.

This means, if WW is active, trying to use ZK, WWE, UEA1&2 and DMR+SP is
blocked.

It's like a radio version of the old party line telephone system, that
used to exist in country areas.

Would suggest you look at a purchasing a duplex hotspot, as this will
allow you to access/monitor two talkgroups.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200814143701&SearchText=MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat+Duplex

The Wellington DMR repeater is not located on Hawkins Hill, but is
further west on Wrights Hill.

It's coverage is very good into the central city, but not good south of
the Basin Reserve and toward Newtown and Island Bay.

73 Paul ZL2BEZ