[TheList] Emergency Services Protocols and Call Signs

Grant Carroll grant.carroll at xtra.co.nz
Mon Apr 13 11:56:27 AEST 2020

Hi guys,

I travel up to Nelson and Blenheim regularly with work and listen to the Tasman police channels up there and occasionally down to Dunedin where you can hear both the Dunedin and Central Otago channels.

There is definitely a range of informality but I think this relates more to the Comms operator. There are a couple of guys who do the Tasman channels (the funniest one is Sean) who are total crackups and keep everyone amused (even those using scanners!). I also heard these guys on Canterbury channels before they went digital and they behaved the same way.

James - you mentioned that the Auckland metro police channels are quite disciplined and if you are commenting about things currently it raises the obvious question of how are you managing to still listen to them?

Cheers and hope everyone is staying safe.

Grant.