[TheList] The Radiocommunications Act

Scan CHCH scanchch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:31:11 AEDT 2019

Police on Analog / unencrypted trunked network. Joe public decides to
stream it online. Police aren't happy and decided to go encrypted. Joe
public can't listen to LE anymore on his scanner. He killed his own hobby.

I think most LE/EMS organisations knew about scanners but only a select few
had them so it wasn't a significant issue on their radar. The advent of
steaming online grew that number to literally anyone with a smart phone. So
instead of having a few people around their geographical area listening in
on what they are doing, you now have anyone in world potentially listening.

You can google any number of news stories in the USA that have mentioned
the words Streaming & Encryption in the same article. Cause and effect.

I absolutely agree with Richards comment that Emergency Services need to be
able to do their job without being impeded. Unfortunately others including
media don't see that.