[TheList] Aerials

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:31:03 AEDT 2018

had a SCATX on my vehicle for many years, it worked pretty well. Took it
off when I changed cars and it's lived in the garage since... the outer
plastic is a bit worse for wear now, I probably need to heatshrink it or
something before I use it again in the outdoors.

I have been trying to use something much lower profile on my wagon (found a
wee magnetic-base thing on Trademe) but it's still not quite enough for
what I want to mainly listen to (local Fire dispatch), I had been
suspecting my scanner of going deaf however I don't have anything realistic
to compare it with (my second scanner LCD screen is broken, so it's a
one-trick pony these days).

For mobile use I will say the SCATX is just a little bit conspicuous!
Unless you have a truck or ute in which case it'd probably look the part.

At home I have an old dick smith scanning antenna (can't tell you what it
was called, it was a plastic tube about 2cm dia with a loop at one end and
coax coming out the other) which I have draped on the the outside of my
garage, gives me fairly good service but am expecting it to die at some
point due to weather exposure (seals are dodgy now).  By the sounds of it
the SCATX will be it's successor!

Mark.