[TheList] Police response times on a Saturday night( well the list is quiet)

RayC rcolvill at paradise.net.nz
Mon Sep 5 13:12:58 AEST 2016

  About 5 years ago i had a need to track a car that did a burn out leaving the neighbours house
  and just missed my work van by a whisker when the lost control.
  On ringing the Timaru police station the call was answered without delay.
  The Policeman said i will ask the cars where they are now. One car is out north he said and so i will get them
  to look around Washdyke and see what they can pick up. Job done to perfection.

  Now 5 years later on the same call to the Timaru station rang thru ok, then i heard the call being
  transferred and i waited a further 4 mins to get answered by the CHCH call taker.
  I told her that a White Skyline with Gold rims was doing burnouts in Holmglen st and that i witnessed it from my kitchen window.
  She asked many questions for about another 4 mins and said she will pass it to the dispatcher desk.
  I was xferred by phone and i waited another 4mins. The call was answered by the Central comms dispatcher in the NI.
  I told them about what had happened and the dispatcher admitted the did not know the SI geography
  and would xfer me back to the CHCH dispatcher desk as it was more relevant.
  After a long wait of about 6 minutes i was answered by NI Central Comms call taker this time , i said my complaint is recorded
  i just want a car to keep a lookout around Washdyke tonight.

  SHE ASKED IS IT HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. I said no as i have been getting the run around for the last 20 mins on the phone.
  She said i will email the CHCH dispatcher , i said you WILL EMAIL THE dispatcher, when will they see it i asked.
  If they are busy it could be a while as 111 calls have priority and Saturday is a busy night.
  At stage i just gave up and told them to forget it, i was in no mood for further run around.

  How can this new system be better than the old manned station counter in towns and cities.
  Does the Government Ministers realise the farcical situation we have in place now.