[TheList] NZ Forestry Radio Frequencies

DogSec - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Fri Mar 3 12:43:31 AEDT 2023

Hey mate,

Forestry channels are kinda all over the place with what forest uses
what, and what forest requires what.  It's not uncommon for one area to
be on one channel, and another area to be on a seperate one, within one
forest.   It should basically all be analog VHF around 150 - 155ish,
with the odd one using commercial freqs in the EE/EN band.  There's no
real list,  I often found radio dealers not doing a good enough job when
programming so when they changed to narrowband this was an ideal time
for everyone to clean up their acts, but noone really did.  I know
everything I put out was above board.

The issue mainly being some forest managers require selcall on certain
channels, others don't - even if it's the same frequency used in
different areas.  Company A might have say channel 13 (a fairly common
channel) in their radio, with no selcall enabled which is fine for
Forest A, but not for Forest B.... Company A does work in Forest B and
doesn't understand why the forestry managers get upset, to them they
have the channel and there shouldn't be an issue.  Selcall was one of
the ways to ensure that everyone has the right channels in the radio,
just cos you have say, channel 13, you might also be required to have
several other channels in case of a fire, or entering a loading zone and
also that you're meant to be in the forest in the first place... A lot
of 4WDers, for example, had forestry channels programmed into radios
that were never allowed in the forest in the first place.

The best thing, to confirm, would be to get hold of the forestry manager
for the forests you're going into, they can advise what channels they
use, even if you have no intentions to transmitting at least you could
listen out for calls when you're in the area. Otherwise close call might
be your friend while you build up a database.   What they call channel
57, may be called something entirely different... I've just gone through
the list of forestry stuff I have done in the past, and I don't see a 57
mentioned, but it might be called something else.

Cheers,

Richard.