[TheList] Fwd: Tait FENZ Selcall - Meaning of Status Messages

DogSec - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Thu Feb 3 18:30:49 AEDT 2022

Damn I wrote that awhile ago haha.  What a clever guy, I'd forgotten all
about that.

Pager LOS is Loss of Signal  (I don't know how this works)

Key Cabinet seems to be when the key cabinet alarm activates/deactivates.

PGR RetOS is Return of signal

BGLR is burglar alarm on the station activating.  The station probably
has a normal burglar alarm (with landline/cellular for sending as all
burglar alarms have) but an output is likely connected to the station
radio so in effect they have a redundancy of knowing when a station
alarm has gone off.

The labels on the left of the pipe (  | ) are for stations, on the right
are the K codes.

Stations use 5tone, whereas the appliances use 13tone for transmitting
and 5tone for receiving.  The 8200 can only decode 5tone, so it's
decoding the stations 5tone and acknowledgements, but only decoding the
acknowledgement back from firecomm when an appliance does a call.

An example would be (this is from a logfile from 2017 - so this may not
work now if REGN206 has changed vehicles from then - at the time it was
running as HAMI411)

C5331F1100C (REGN206 K1)   [this is the 13tone from the appliance to
firecomm]

C55331  (REGN206 K1 Ack ACK)   [this is the 5tone acknowledgement back
from firecomm]

so the 8200 will decode the C5533 as being REGN206, and the 1 as being
K1 ACK

Now for a station,

184411         Hamilton Turnout
would decode on the radio as being 18441 Hamilton Station and the ending
1 is for a Turnout (IE lights activate, doors open, that type of thing)

The radio doesn't know if it's decoding an appliance OR a station, so I
matched the Status labels so it doesn't matter, you see what's happening.

The type of selcall is different between 5tone and 13tone too - this way
uses the same data as the Seldec units that Anzac Comms used to sell.
So if you have one of those, you can put the same info into the 8200 and
decode correctly... it's NOT the same format as FENZ use, so if someone
was naughty and transmitted tones, it wouldn't actually do anything on
FENZ side.

So to preemptively answer a possible question - could you use the 13tone
instead of 5tone?  probably, in theory, however Taits are limited to 300
entries in the receiving list so you'd (very) quickly fill that up with
only a handful of appliances and the corresponding status.  This was the
most efficient way of doing things.

Richard.