[TheList] Police VHF linking

Darryl Healy darryl0768healy at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:42:41 AEST 2020

Hi listers

I live in the lovely city of Timaru and today something that has never
happened before happened.

An old police VHF channel and current rural Fire channel livened up with
police comms chatter...

It seems the radios in Dunedin have been linked in such a way that I am
hearing Dunedin comms on 75.4500mhz.
It shows as the old Timaru CH1 and is a current rural fire channel that
they refer to as the Lyttelton channel.

Much to my delight it's a pleasant surprise but I'm not expecting it to
last long before they change their shift configurations etc.

The downside to this is I can only hear comms call, no units. All in all
I'm not complaining about it as its busy down there today.

Does anybody have any further knowledge on how the radio linking works? I
understand police share a platform with fire but how is Dunedin Comms
linked up to Timaru? Could it be an extra plug on a National Fire dispatch
desk as I understand they're based in one location for the entire south
island, or could it be an extra plug in on a police comms desk which an
extra plug could have been crossed by mistake. (I'm not sure if there is
one or 2 police comms locations for the South Island).

Those in Christchurch and wider Canterbury should scan their fire
frequencies to see if this is the same in wider Canterbury or even perhaps
the south island. Although it is only the Dunedin channel, not Central
Otago or Oamaru.