[TheList] This is not good news

DogSecurity - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Thu Jun 18 13:59:16 AEST 2020

Encryption itself isn't expensive at all.  You use the same radios, in
fact a lot of St John radios are already TP9400 and TM9400s, new builds
are all getting the new radios.  They will need to purchase a trunking
key per radio to use the new network, but that can be added later on
when the new codeplug is uploaded to the radio.

I haven't done encryption on any Tx9400s, but for TM/TP93 and MotoTRBO
radios, to encrypt is literally about 5 more seconds of work for the
programmer.  Now if they use fancy high end encryption, then you use a
keyloader which is a hardware device.

Fire will potentially have a harder time, due to the way the vehicle
wiring is installed... The story I was told is that it's cheaper for
them to repair the T2000 based equipment than to swap each vehicle over
to TM8200s (changing from an 8200 to a 9400 is straightforward as you
only need to replace the head and the body - the remote cable in between
is the same)

Reports I've read is that NGCC will be RF, Cellular and satellite based,
however will need to be compatible with the existing P25 network in use
in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.