[TheList] Akaroa

Mark Robinson the-list at zl2tod.net
Fri Jan 26 16:12:36 AEDT 2018

On 26/01/18 17:27, Tim Devaney wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Have just made the move from Dunedin to Akaroa I'm wondering if somebody could
> point me in the right direction of some possible frequencies that I could
> program in on my scanner for out here I understand and please correct me if I'm
> incorrect that the police sadly and Canterbury are encrypted and cannot be
> received what about fire and ambulance I've had a play around and try to sniff
> some frequencies out but everything seems to be dead things would be greatly
> appreciated as I have a very expensive scanner sitting here that's not
> receiving anything and I miss knowing what's going on in my neck of the world.
> Cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

A few things spring to mind:

Because Akaroa is surrounded by hills in every direction it's not going to be easy.

First get an antenna above the roof. If there's a disused TV antenna use that
for a start.

Search the licenses database at

> https://www.rsm.govt.nz/smart-web/smart/page/-smart/domain/licence/SelectLicencePage.wdk

for frequencies in the area. It's a very clumsy interface, get your act
together RSM.

Look around the hilltops and see which ones have repeaters on them. It appears
there's something at -43.7665, 172.866.

You may find satellites and HF (<30MHz) are where your efforts are best
rewarded. Weather satellites cluster around 137.5MHz. You can track satellites on

http://heavens-above.com/main.aspx?lat=-43.8054&lng=172.9671&loc=Akaroa&alt=8&tz=NZST

Have you played with those little RTL-SDR USB dongles? Good for finding unknown
signals, tracking planes etc etc.

Good Luck,
Mark