[TheList] Dunedin police

DogSecurity - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Tue Jan 9 05:13:44 AEDT 2018

It'll be another idiot running around with one of those nasty Boafengs.  Given they're a ham radio, they should be selling those to someone with their ham ticket only.  Noone enforces it though so you can bring them in yourself.

Unfortunately this means that this becomes a 'scanner' for end users, with one major problem - it can transmit.  With no transmit lockout, they type in the local UHF police receive freq and transmit back, in effect using it as a simplex channel. Handhelds, being 5W, will have a transmit area of around 5km with no hills, trees, etc in the way.  So your new friend will be within 5km of you.  It's unlikely he's transmitting on the repeater input, which means the whole Dunedin district, and comms, would hear it.

For the guy to get in trouble, the police (like any other user) need to make a complaint to the RSM inspectors, who will investigate and find him by triangulation.  Although I guess Police techs could do it for their channels, and get GDB staff to arrest him for some sort of Criminal Mischief charge, but it's RSM who should be doing it, as they oversee all frequencies, and all interference complaints.

So basically, either S3 heard and ignored, or he never heard because he was more than 5km away from this muppet.

The fines can be fairly hefty, some guy in Nelson bought in his own dog tracking stuff for hunters in... 2015? which wasn't compliant.  If I remember right, he was selling it as well as using for himself.  Anyway, they caused interference on forestry channels, someone complained to RSM and they warned him.  He chose to ignore the warnings, and then infringement notices, so he got charged.  The judge fined him $30k.  Then.. get this, he got a discount of 20% for an early guilty plea, and for previous good character (even though he'd been fined for the same offense before!)
Richard
Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse my brevity, punctuation and spelling.