[TheList] Aerials

Radio Scanner rs157950 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 19:26:45 AEDT 2018

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

Use this to calculate the optimum length at 1/4 wave.

This will be MORE than accurate enough for receive only because when you
use an antenna for transmitting, you check the SWR at low power first so
you don't blow the final's when at full power.

The reason an antenna needs to be the correct length is because its a
fraction of the transmitted (or received) wavelength, be it 1/4, 1/2 or
even 5/8th. A simple example is FM 98mhz, the full wavelength of the
signal is a little over 3M, if you cut a 1/4 wave antenna for your
receiver to 750mm, you are pretty much on the money.