[TheList] Aerials

DogSecurity - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Thu Feb 8 19:23:23 AEDT 2018

If the aerial is a mopole, then it depends on the frequency you want,
the instructions come with the mopole.  If you have a groundplane to put
a quarterwave on, then you do 75/freq.
IE ESA band is 75/75 = 1m, ESB is 75/145MHz (for example) = 517mm.

For scanners it's not so important, the importance comes with
transmitting.  Is it a handheld scanner or a base scanner?  Given the
lengths you've mentioned you've tried, I'll assume a base scanner.  You
could try shortening one and you'll probably find it'll work
sufficiently.   it also depends on where you are.. If you're a long way
away from the repeater then you might find a yagi aerial will work
better, but remember it's directional.

I have a 12 element UHF yagi pointing at Klondyke to receive Auckland
Fire connected to a UHF T2020 series1.  I'm in a big dip in the middle
of Hamilton city so it works.. just not well.  If it was higher than the
hills around me, it'd work great.  However if I try listening to Waikato
Rural police (which is on Sanitorium Hill/Ruru area) it's pretty
average.. because the yagi isn't pointing in that direction.

Richard