[TheList] ISS Comms

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Thu Mar 21 05:20:26 AEDT 2013

Ummm,

The profile of most passes is an arc at something well below 90 degrees
above the horizon, so a vertical is actually a good bet. At the
beginning and end of the pass they'll be in the lobes of best gain and
when a pass is almost directly above the line-of sight distance is
shorter so the lower gain directly above is less an issue.  A pair of
crossed dipoles horizontal are going to be cloud warmers for most of the
workable window of a low low elevation pass I'd have thought.

For the ISS, given it's not running flea-power like the amsats a
vertical is easiest and best bang for buck non-steerable antenna option
I reckon.  For most of the other amsats though you need something you
can point at it, either by hand or az/el rotator setup.

My experience with the digipeater is that I can consistently hit it with
10w on the vertical for elevations above about 10 degrees above horizon,
and 5w with a HT and hand held 5el short yagi on visible passes so I can
aim the thing!  :-)

I did try to hit the U/V repeater quite a few times recently before
reading they'd taken it offline to use one of the radios for the ARISS
programme.  Makes it hard to trigger when it's not listening!

I've not tried any of the amsats yet...   Need to build me a hand held
U/V yagi, there's lots of designs around for them...

Cheers, Chris H