[TheList] Rural Fire

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:07:59 AEST 2012

No change has yet been signalled.  As of the change to a National
Government all of the intended changes to Fire Service Legislation as a
byproduct of the big review the kicked off, were shelved.  That's the best
of my knowledge anyway.

I'm sure it'll come up again at some stage but there's been nothing that
I've heard to suggest it's going to be in a hurry.  The Nat's have plenty
else on their plates at the moment... !

At some point theyre going to have to pay attention to the funding issues
associated with the NZFS funding model (insurance levy) and they can't
ignore the rural side (you're correct about whos responsible for them, and
thus, who funds them) as part of that process.

I just hope it's sooner rather than later.  Who knows, perhaps the extra
$13 million the NZFS had to find as a result of Pike River and Christchurch
(as reported in the media just this week) will throw something of a
spotlight on the issue all over again?

All IMHO.
Mark.