[TheList] Who needs digital encryption when you have telephones

Gary Lowndes gary at flightpath.co.nz
Wed Aug 29 22:51:29 AEST 2012

Heard the tones committing a fire appliance to a call a few minutes
after midnight and then something very much like this. Appliance and
station and a name tampered with just in case ...

"Manukau 999, proceed to Ferndale station, contact firecomm for job details"

(pause)

"Firecomm, Manukau 999, why do we have to proceed to Ferndale station ?"

"Manukau 999, you'll be briefed at Ferndale station or when you
telephone firecomm"

Then there was a message for someone to "ring the number that David
Palmer has given you, urgently"

And then I think firecomm asked 999 if they had copied that and they
replied yes and that "Counties 2" had the details and was going to ring
them directly.

So ...  who needs encryption !

What sort of job would that have been ? I'm not after specifics
(obviously that's a lie LOL) just wondering what Fire would go to that
they wouldn't want anyone to know they were going to - all I can think
of is stuff along the lines of lurking around the corner while the blue
and red taxi company collect a chef from a kitchen that's likely to
explode ?

Now getting tones for appliance movements. I need to start running a
recorder again, and my selcall decoder !

And what is "counties 2", which is the actual callsign used - wouldn't
be something to do with the Counties Manukau Police District would it ?