[TheList] can I use this aerial ...

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 13:38:30 AEST 2011

For transmission the Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) needs to be as close to 1:1
as possible.
This is done by tuning the length of the antenna to the frequency you're
operating.  Receivers have the same rules but a poor SWR will wreck
reception, not kill a radio; transmission on an SWR bigger than, say, 1.6:1
can cause serious damage to a transmitter.

Some transmitters automatically wind down the amount of radiated power they
attempt to use if the SWR is wrong as a self-protection measure. So the net
effect in that case is poor transmission quality as well.

I dont know what freqs you wish to use on your Tait 2000 but if they're not
those for which the antenna is tuned, you either need to retune the antenna
or look another way.

Retuning best done with the aid of an SWR Meter...

Cheers
Mark.