[TheList] Listening to other stuff.

Andy zl1cop at qsl.net
Sat Nov 20 11:47:49 AEDT 2010

Well said Mike,

As someone who works in the emergency services field, It is many years since
listening to police etc could be considered a hobby. When you hear it all
day everyday it eventually loses its magic!. For me the fun of the
radio/scanning hobby is not so much the content but the challenge of
finding, identifying and analysing new stuff. Sure it is sometimes nice to
be able to just look up a frequency and listen, but there is a much greater
sense of achievement in working it out for yourself.  Actually the content
of the messages is a very small part of it. The rest involves detective
work, learning about the technology, keeping an eye on the news , using
Google, being observant, and of course hours of patient scanning (or rather
searching).

Just being aware of the size and shape of common radio antennas will often
give you a good steer on where to look for comms from a particular agency.
Keep an eye on the background during the news reports or documentaries on
the telly it's amazing how much info you can gather when you know what to
look for and make the right connections.

As Mike says, HF is another fruitful source of listening pleasure,
particularly if you are set up for some of the digital modes
.HF Data link,
Automatic Link Establishment(ALE) SITOR etc. With the sunspot cycle on the
improve signals are set to get better and more numerous over the next 5-6
years. You won’t hear many nail biting dramas but I find immense
satisfaction in finding decoding  identifying a tiny signal down in the
noise level based on intelligence I have gathered myself.

And Mike  - re  “Sorry to come across as some sort of an arse-hole, I just
don't want to see this hobby die because of the P25 thing.”

You don’t and Me too

Cheers

Andy