[TheList] Music over the Police/Fire channel

Steve Austin nzscanners at gmail.com
Sun May 30 20:06:04 AEST 2010

Hi Dick,

Yes you hit the nail on the head It takes "noise makers" to bring this
to the attention of others to get the beaurocrats off their behinds.

They havent forgotten to change that legislation to address scanner
listening either. It black and white in the NZ Statutes 2009.
You remember the old listening to and acting on stuff...........It has
effectively gone as well. Replaced with specific wording to protect the
new radio system and future systems which we know are currently
difficult to decode but if you are suspected of actively decoding radio
signals (i.e paging or encrypted radio transmissions) it is now an
offence under the sweeping surveillance laws under the counter terrorism
act brought in before Xmas last year. Maximum punishable sentence is
prison.
Not many realised the major change to NZ law in regard to surveillance
on you and I as well. A box in every ISP to directly "sniff/Filter" your
IP and Telephone cell or landline activities and they do not require a
signed search warrant anymore.
I remember It quietly came into force on the last during the 2009 Xmas
holidays when everyone was heading away to holiday with other things on
their minds.

***Link Below****
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3203448/NZs-cyber-spies-win-new-powers

Steve Austin