[TheList] DSE now Dick Smith (no Electronics).

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:29:51 AEDT 2010

Neill has pretty much nailed it.  Sad, as DSE's lost so much of its support
from the Electronics world over the years.  I've given them credit for being
the place you know you can go to find your (consumer) electronics needs most
of the time, but am quite dissapointed to see their ongoing reduction of
what I guess you might call 'niche' products.

Even as long as 10 years ago (when I was still working for them) I could see
a slow reduction in radio bits and pieces.

In the end they're a business and are interested in profit and in benefiting
their shareholders, they still have their place but if you're looking for
'electronics hobbiest' type stuff they are no longer the go-to place they
used to be.

And the sad part about the skills displayed by their staff in this space, is
that (certainly when I was there) there was no organised training in the
electronics side offered.  Stores were often able to skate based on the
natural talents of various employees, and through lots of phone calls to
techies @ Head Office.

(I credit my amateur radio license as part of what got me my job at DSE, and
as a part-timer (i was still in high school when I started) I was constantly
referred customers from full-time employees, as a result of my comms and (to
a lesser degree) electronics nous.  And i'm no electronic technician.)

I still prefer to shop at DSE over most of the other consumer electronics
chains, however, as I generally find them _worse_.

I just hope that Jaycar et al continue to provide support for the true
electronics hobbiest (and continue expanding around the country).

Mark.