[TheList] Fwd: Re: PC to SMS. Anybody doing this?

Z-master zmasta at orcon.net.nz
Wed Apr 28 04:22:48 AEST 2010

basically as Chris has already written.

This is has been taken from a tutorial site for getting SMS monitoring
from a monitoring software called Nagios that I use and have
successfully setup under debian:
*There are some pre-conditions to using a generic mobile phone:*

   1. *It must be able to communicate via a cable directly to your
      computer.*
   2. *It must have a built in modem that supports the AT command set
      (most mobile phones over the past few years do).*

I see no reason why you can't use this under windows using CYGWIN or the
like.
Now that I do a search...
http://smstools.meinemullemaus.de/windows.html   and it does use CYGWIN :)

In PDW you would most likely need to use the external commands function
(Filters > options > Enable command file)
then enter <path-to-sendsms> not sure what to add for arguments

Once again, you'd need alot of trial and error/playing around time but
see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Of interest in my nagios setup, I'm using my old Nokia N73 which indeed
supports the AT command set, and alse a USB charger/data cable that I
picked up from TradeMe
(http://www.trademe.co.nz/Mobile-phones/Accessories/Chargers/Nokia/auction-285952713.htm)
as the N73 battery is shot.  I can send TXTs via BASH or nagios will
create an entry in a MySQL database, which a program called gammu
monitors and sends out that way,  so that won't work for you.

Hope this is of some help,

Z-master