[TheList] Fire comms

Mark Foster blakjak at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 22:34:29 AEST 2022

Not quite right.

Career stations will still get a verbal dispatch. Volunteer stations such
as those you're likely to hear in that area would be dispatched by pager
(and now smartphone app) so no voice readout.
Often a "K35" would be transmitted from the station after the initial
turnout and you'd get call details over the radio. This is the practice
that has been stopped, it's to do with what the CAD systems do when they
receive a call from the station radio, and it's not necessary if there's no
further info available than was sent to them on turnout.

You'll still hear turnouts for units 'on the air' (K4/KE) and you'll hear
SITREPs etc, the same as before, you're just less likely to hear call
information as dispatched.... When a truck is shown as responding Fire on
may call them to handover more information if they have it. Or it may be
sent to a tablet device in the truck to save putting details over the radio.

Mark.