[TheList] Squawking Tones on Police Channel & High Frequency Tone on Channel

DogSec - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Sun Mar 20 12:01:09 AEDT 2022

Hard to say...  but most likely that will be the case, yes you'll no
longer hear police.

The Government is bringing in NGCC (Next Gen Critical Communications)
network which will be P25, Cellular and IP based telecommunications
setup, similar to Australia, America, etc.  The ESA/UHF analog networks
will be shut off.
It will have Police, FENZ, St John, WFA, and possibly CivDef etc. It's
possible that some or all of it will be encrypted, that will be up to
each orgainization.  I'd imagine that it will follow along with the
current Auckland, Wellington, Wairarapa and Canterbury setups where
Police are encrypted.  But that could change as happened in Victoria on
the MMR/RMR networks (basically speaking MMR is UHF, RMR is VHF)  where
Ambulance were unencryped, but that's changed and is now encrypted..
Encryption is done on the subscriber unit - P25 supports encryption.

The current P25 network I understand to be owned by the Police, this new
network will not be.  I would assume that the Police will sell their
equipment so they no longer have to worry about the repeater networks
falling over, that would become the NGCCs problem, but they would keep
their current radio techs as they still need people on the ground
looking after vehicles/handhelds... I will also assume that NGCC won't
have any interest in dealing with subscriber units as it's a lot to
manage - they'll have enough on their plates to deal with, running a
national trunking repeater network. I also assume that Police will want
to keep their codeplugs close to their chest.  FENZ/Police have their
own radio techs, so it'd be business as usual for them, except no more
repeater work - they're multi talented in that they do radio, telephony
and IT stuff.  St John use Vital for repeaters, but contract Tait to
subcontract radios, each Civil Defence area seems to do their own thing
for radio work.  I don't know much about WFA other than they use a
couple of talkgroups on the Wellington P25 network.  Others that could
join would be government departments... Aviation Security, MBIE
(Immigration etc)   I will assume that Corrections will remain as they
are with their current LTR setups that are moving over to DMR as they
really need prison specific coverage, and keep the prisoner transport
vehicles on Vital.