[TheList] Squawking Tones on Police Channel & High Frequency Tone on Channel

BJ bjcuizon151 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:00:21 AEDT 2022

Hi all,

Was in Dunedin recently and tuned in to police comms. Anyone know what
those squawking tones on some police channels are? It doesn't sound like
fire selcall but more like a really short (~1 sec) burst of what sort of
sounds like a part of the old dial-up handshake.

Also, was listening to firecom and ambo thru the I-band link in Chch and on
some link channels there is a really high pitched tone that is present when
someone keys up. It can only be heard on a radio with no audio
filtering/DSP as my Tait seems to cancel it out. Does anyone have an idea
what this is as well?

Thanks in advance,
BJ