[TheList] Car mounted antenna

DogSecurity - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Sat Sep 11 20:18:56 AEST 2021

I actually did that once, many years ago, well it was more a splitter I'd bought off ebay... so I could still have a FM broadcast radio.  It worked really poor attached to a UBCT8, but it was using the factory antenna in the glass.  I then moved to a glass mount aerial which also was hot garbage.. don't recommend either options at all.

A year ago I purchased https://www.amazon.com/MFJ-Enterprises-Original-MFJ-310-Handheld/dp/B00OAHD2LS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=mfj+window&qid=1631354890&sr=8-3  and a bnc whip similar to

https://www.amazon.com/HYS-Telescopic-Antenna-BNC-14inch/dp/B07RD4K77T/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=14V2NG6138RIW&dchild=1&keywords=hx400+antenna&qid=1631355123&sprefix=hx400+&sr=8-6

for playing around with, in the work car ... it's shit with my sds100 on ESA band (as expected, the scanner performs very poorly there) but does alright for everything higher.  Of course, I can't imagine it would like getting wet, and easy for someone to pinch the aerial given it's just a BNC, but could be alright.

Another option could be to go to a radio company, we often would have a few old aerials from customers that changed from VHF to Fleetlink or old whips that'd work on a GME base.  You'd still need a suitable bracket, coax and BNC but yeah

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse my brevity, punctuation and spelling.