[TheList] Listen to the South Canterbury fire in Christchurch.

Brendan Sheehy shiters_r_us at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:19:59 AEST 2020

Hopefully this clears things up.

Vote group (Group of different frequencies)
Channel (Name of a Vote group)
VTG (Virtual talk groups)

In the South Island, the Police have 4 VTG’s & 1 individual channel, Fire have 2 VTG’s

The 4 Police VTG’s are Tasman, Canterbury, Otago, and Southland the channel is Dunedin 1

The 2 Fire VTG’s are Region 4 & Region 5

These VTG’s are created by patching individual channels together.

Tasman VTG consist of the following channels
Nelson 1, Marlborough 1, Westport, Greymouth & Hokitika

Canterbury VTG consist of the following channels
Christchurch 1, North Canterbury, Lyttelton, Central Canterbury (Formally Ashburton), Temuka, Twizel, Timaru 1 & Waimate

Otago VTG consist of the following channels
Oamaru, Central Otago & Balclutha

Southland VTG consist of the following channels
Gore, Te Anau & Invercargill 1

Fire region 4 VTG consist of the following channels
Fire Nelson, Fire Christchurch & Timaru 2

Fire region 5 VTG consist of the following channels
Fire Dunedin & Fire Invercargill

Each channel covers different geographic areas, when patched into a vote group cover a larger geographic area.

So for the South Canterbury fire, they would have been using the Twizel channel meaning anyone listening to any other channels being part of the Canterbury VTG would also be able to hear that traffic.

Hopefully that some sort of sense.

If not let me know I’ll try clear it up a bit more for you.

Cheers

Brendan