[TheList] mid south island pocsag

Craig cokekid at orcon.net.nz
Wed Nov 18 08:55:14 AEDT 2020

Still seems to be a few different things being mashed together in a
single topic. UHF radio kit is different now. Yes. The keying and so on
you mention is normally associated with voice comms.
Future proofed to enable digital where needed. Inter-agency or new UHF
simplex handhelds.

Similarly the repeater links may be changing for the better, who knows.
but we don't tend to tune to those direct. They may be digital, but the
bloke at the end of the chains with the radio/pager is still on
normal/standard

However from what most of us are seeing, Paging doesn't seem changed as
yet. It would be quite the undertaking to change from status quo I
imagine
At least with radios they can program multiple channels/frequencies.
(those are at least integrating Analogue and Digital into similar
bands/use with the flick of a config)

Most the Apollo Pagers I've had a hand on looked to be single frequency.
And as such (as some seniors travel around or users go between coverage
zones) remain on the same band, and re-broadcast up and down the country
for continuity.
So unless you program everyones RIC into a new one on a different
frequency and Hand them all out so everyone carries 2 for a period to
confirm working. Or advise of a switch off and use MSUs only. Not
forseeing any immediate changes for now?. But perhaps if those operating
take over management and change to a station homed PoP system or
localised 16xMhz installs might be used side by side we could see a
difference. Range of reception decrease and so on.

But given most out of town volly stations seem to be going to pager only
with 3-min no-responce siren activation. Pagers look to be still alive
and kicking. Although maybe less used for some Ambo with their fancy
mobile units now.