[TheList] Emergency Services Protocols and Call Signs

James Nicholson jayswipe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:22:17 AEST 2020

Hi everyone.

Until early March, I had plans to make my way down to the South Island to
do some scanning in the Dunedin and Otago Rural areas. Unfortunately, due
to current events, I had to postpone my trip.

On this trip I was going to focus primarily on emergency services radio
dispatch procedures and call signs.

Where I live, the Auckland metro Police channels are quite disciplined
(thankfully, due to high radio traffic), whereas, on Waikato Rural, things
can be a little more colloquial. The neat thing about that is it can
sometimes allow information to flow easily when the dispatcher has that
rapport with regional Police units. Fire, as I’ve observed in Region 1,
have very good dispatch protocols.

Can any South Island members who are regularly scanning emergency services
prove feedback/commentary? Any other regions, please reply too.