[TheList] Radio Interfarance

Radio Engineering radio.restorations at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 12:15:56 AEDT 2019

I am finding a lot of the chinese made electronics which use switch mode or
switching regulators to be very noisy.
The generate a lot of hash, both superimposed on the DC power lines and
also radiated as RF.
The first thing to do would be to discover which of these it is.
The former is somewhat easier to suppress than the latter, but even in my
attempts to stop a small 12 V to 5 V USB converter from swamping the input
to one of the RT in my truck I ended up trying different units until I
found one that was quieter than the rest.
Where radios are concerned, linear regulators in other equipment on the
same supply are the best option, but may not be possible with your MPPT.
As Andy Gardner has already commented, does the device comply with NZ EMI
regs?
My guess is no.