[TheList] The Radiocommunications Act.

Martin Cook majocook21 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 05:08:21 AEDT 2019

Way back in the 60's when I was a Radio Officer in the UK Merchant Navy
I had to sign a document to say that I was bound by the "Secrecy of
Communications Act" which meant that I was not only to disclose or use
to gain a pecuniary advantage any information that I had received,
either intended for me or for anyone else, but I could not even admit to
the existence or reception of any information other than to the intended
recipient.

Later on I joined the Royal Naval Reserve as a Radio Operator and had to
sign the "Official Secrets Act" which also meant that I could not tell
anybody about some equipment that I had knowledge about. These acts are
still in force and there is no let out clause so I can't tell anybody
anything!

The penalties for some of these offences are somewhat severe, especially
in wartime. Did you know that sabotage to one of Her Majesty's ships
still carries the death penalty?

On that happy note - cheers - Martin.