[TheList] 136.5Mhz

Mark Robinson mark.robinson at paradise.net.nz
Sat Oct 21 09:04:22 AEDT 2017

On 21/10/17 10:18, Chris wrote:
> Just stumbled across 136.5Mhz after installing two new antenna’s at home, and I
> am just wondering what it is..
> The MED state its an ‘Every Person’ license with special condition of 6.
>
> (6)   Use is limited to aeronautical mobile (Off-Route) services with classes of emission ‘A3E’ in the band 130.000-136.000 MHz and ‘A2D’ in the band 136.0125-136.9875 MHz. The channel arrangements in the band 130.0000-136.9875 MHz are as prescribed in PIB 23 - Mobile Service Bands in New Zealand.
>
> I am currently (in Narrow FM) getting Jazz (transmitted in Wideband FM) - but I
> don’t think its an STL and just wondering why anyone would want to use it..
> Let alone transmitting WideBand FM on this channel - and after reading
> condition 6 - i am not sure it should be there.
>
> Just seems an odd frequency to use..

If we assume the intermediate frequency (IF) of your receiver is 21.4MHz it's a
reasonable guess that the local oscillator (LO) is on 125.1MHz when you are
tuned to 136.5MHz.

136.5 - 21.4 = 125.1

This gives an image frequency of 125.1 - 21.4 = 97.3MHz which is used by Radio
Bay of Plenty Ltd among others.