[TheList] Unusual Police Frequency

DogSecurity - Richard richard at dogsecurity.co.nz
Wed Sep 17 15:25:58 AEST 2014

I could see the appeal for a couple reasons (despite the fact it's illegal)

Firstly it would be nice just to carry around one radio/Scanner rather
than a couple.  I have a Tait T5015 (yes only RX is programmed) that's
450-520MHz so I'm limited to UHF therefore can't get Waikato Fire as
they are VHF (In fact unless someone can correct me, there's no plans to
go UHF - and only Auckland and Wellington are UHF, Wellington being
Digital also)  so if I want to listen to Fire I need to carry around my
Icom R5 also (which is still a great scanner, by the way)

Secondly, a Uniden 72/92XLT is still around ~180 on TradeMe, a T2000 is
~150 and has the benefit of being able to transmit. [Don't try this at
home, kids, illegal, here be dragons etc...] With enough know-how you
could hook a UHF T2000 to a VHF-High T2000  together and you have an
instant repeater on the cheap that's tuned for that particular range so
will outperform any scanner.  Illegal on both the facts that you're not
paying RSM for a licensed frequency and also because you are
rebroadcasting something you aren't the intended recipient.  But
suddenly if you're an Ambo/Air/whoever else fan listening with an RT
rather than a scanner, you aren't limited to just VHF-High receiving.
You'd have to be a pretty diehard fan to go through all that effort
though, and silly because it will catch up with you at some stage.