[TheList] TheList Digest, Vol 57, Issue 7

Geoff kiwi56 at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 10 11:07:29 AEDT 2014

As of March 2014, the 777 has been in 10 aviation accidents and
incidents
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_accidents_and_incidents>,^[211]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-211> including three
confirmed hull-loss accidents,^[212]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-212> and three
hijackings <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_hijacking>.^[213]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-213> Before 2013, the
only fatality involving the twinjet occurred in a refueling fire at
Denver International Airport
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_International_Airport> on September
5, 2001, during which a ground worker sustained fatal burns.^[214]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-ba2019-214> The
aircraft, operated by British Airways
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways>, suffered fire damage to
the lower wing panels and engine housing; it was later repaired and
returned to service.^[214]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-ba2019-214> ^[215]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-215>

The type's first hull-loss occurred on January 17, 2008, when British
Airways Flight 38
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_38>, a 777-200ER
with Rolls-Royce Trent 895 engines flying from Beijing to London,
crash-landed approximately 1,000 feet (300 m) short of Heathrow
Airport's runway 27L and slid onto the runway's threshold
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displaced_threshold>. There were 47
injuries and no fatalities. The impact damaged the landing gear, wing
roots <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_root> and engines. The aircraft
was written off.^[216]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-BA080201-216> ^[217]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-BA038report-217> Upon
investigation, the accident was blamed on ice crystals
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_crystals> from the fuel system
clogging the fuel-oil heat exchanger
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_exchanger> (FOHE).^[210]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-FOHE-210> In 2009,
air accident investigators called for a redesign of this component on
the Trent 800 series engine.^[218]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-218> Redesigned fuel
oil heat exchangers were installed in British Airways' 777s by October
2009.^[219] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-219>

Two other minor momentary losses of thrust
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_engine#Thrust> with Trent 895 engines
occurred in February and November 2008.^[220]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-220> ^[221]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-delta18details-221>
The National Transportation Safety Board
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Transportation_Safety_Board>
(NTSB) investigators concluded that, just as on BA38, the loss of power
was caused by ice in the fuel clogging the fuel-oil heat exchanger. As a
result, the heat exchanger was redesigned.^[210]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-FOHE-210>

The type's second hull-loss occurred on July 29, 2011, when an EgyptAir
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir> 777-200ER registered as SU-GBP
suffered a cockpit fire while parked at the gate at Cairo International
Airport
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_International_Airport>.^[222]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-SU-GBP-222> The plane
was successfully evacuated with no injuries,^[222]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-SU-GBP-222> and
airport fire teams extinguished the fire.^[223]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-jacdec711-223> The
aircraft sustained structural, heat and smoke damage. This aircraft was
written off.^[222]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-SU-GBP-222> ^[223]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-jacdec711-223>
Investigators focused on a possible electrical fault with a supply hose
in the cockpit crew oxygen system.^[222]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-SU-GBP-222>

The type's third hull loss and first involving fatalities occurred on
July 6, 2013, when Asiana Airlines Flight 214
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiana_Airlines_Flight_214>, 777-200ER
registered HL7742, crashed while landing at San Francisco International
Airport
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_International_Airport> after
touching down short of the runway. Surviving passengers and crew
evacuated before fire destroyed the aircraft. The crash led to the death
of three of the 307 people on board. These were the first fatalities in
a crash involving a 777.^[224]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-224> ^[225]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-225> ^[226]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-FI_Asiana_777_crash-226>
An accident investigation by the NTSB is underway; its initial focus is
on the aircraft's low landing speed.^[227]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777#cite_note-227>

On March 8, 2014, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370>, a 777-200ER
carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew, was reported missing en route from
Kuala Lumpur <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuala_Lumpur> to Beijing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing>. Air Traffic Control's last
reported coordinates for the aircraft were in Vietnamese air space in
the south china sea at 6°55?15?N 103°34?43?E
<http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Boeing_777&params=6_55_15_N_103_34_43_E_type:landmark>.
Although only an oil slick was noted in the sea, the flight is presumed
to have crashed into the sea, most likely due to catastrophic failure,
as no 'mayday' type communication was reported.