[TheList] Hamsphere

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Tue Aug 26 19:11:45 AEST 2014

Ay..

There used to be a fixed link in NZ on 27Mhz a few years ago, not sure who was running it but I do remember listening one night and hearing the owner of the link announce a ‘time out’ because someone was broadcasting music on the the input.

The biggest issue with that sort of thing here in NZ seems to be what we’ll call the idiot factor, and it’s not just a CB or ham thing, it’s universal. :-)

If someone just ran a link and a few folks chatted to their friends on it it’d be fine, if it gets used by some random over seas folks and there are some good contacts made everyone turns a blind eye…  But after a while you can guarantee that some twat would cross-band it to PRS on one of the popular simplex channels, plus the input of the Lincoln Uni PRS repeater, as well as a couple of ham-band spots as well just for good measure.

I don’t understand the mentality of that.  It’s no wonder the RSM boys get called about some of the antics that go on in Canterbury, can’t speak for the rest of the country!

Cheers, Chris H.