[TheList] Hamsphere

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Tue Aug 26 11:50:38 AEST 2014

Ay.

I forgot that weird..  I was using one of their internal made-up callsigns but mentioned I was a ham to someone and then got a few requests to QSL and even one sent direct via my address on qrz.com which was weird.

The self-appointed frequency cops and other types were there that you get in pileups but I generally ignore them on the air as well so it didn't worry me. :-)

I did come across one chap who had gone from on-air HF to hamsphere because it was better than 'old fashioned' radio.  He really did think what he was doing was somehow 'real' radio.  I gave up on that conversation really quickly!

Having said that, I've heard some local hams here in CHCH talking about hamsphere on one of the repeaters saying it's better than HF because it's more reliable and doesn't need a radio and antenna.  Pretty clear to me that they missed radio 101 when they got their license!  :-)

Cheers, Chris H.