[TheList] Hamsphere

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Tue Aug 26 11:10:12 AEST 2014

I played with it a while agoout of curiosity.

Assuming not much has changed it's a neat bit of software and in the scheme of things not a bad simulation of working DSB on HF.  Not that I'm sure anyone actually operates DSB?  None of my rigs support it, AM yes but not DSB with suppressed carrier.  Funny choice for mode to simulate but I assume it was a compromise about software complexity / bandwidth and usability.

If it were a 100% realistic simulation of SSB HF operating not many folks would stick with it, and they are running a business after all!

If you're not a ham, or a ham without the right gear and want to get a feeling for operating on HF you could do a lot worse.  I played with another one that was just silly and might as well have been skype group chat, can't remember the name now.

For my part I prefer the unpredictability and frustration of radio. :-)

Cheers, Chris H.