[TheList] ISS Comms

chris radiowiki at archnetnz.com
Tue Mar 19 20:41:12 AEDT 2013

I have successfully connected to the packet station on board the ISS..
Packet sent and packet received with welcome message, and sent than lost
the connection..

I was just running on a Diamond X-50 'white stick' antenna - so no fancy
tracking..
And I was not taking into the Doppler shift so if I had done that I might
have been on for longer.

>From what I understand most of the traffic is in Russian, and I guess you
need to check their 'sleep cycle' as well as a few other things.
Never heard the HAM channels active, but then again, never have sat on
them either to track it..

There are a few really nice websites that give you satellite location
monitoring,

I used one to get weather data from a weather sat one day - same antenna,
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4277656732796.2162829.1027567787&type=1&l=3e8115f3da

Just my discovery's - for what its worth...

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:41:49 +1300, "Denis Dawson" <ddawson at xnet.co.nz>
wrote:
> There is a bit of stuff you could hear, try this
> <http://www.zarya.info/Frequencies/FrequenciesISS.php> International
Space
> Station ISS Radio Frequencies
>

> www.zarya.info/Frequencies/FrequenciesISS.php
>
> Most of the ISS frequencies listed here are active, It will be obvious
> which
> ones are ... There are occasional communication checks from the ISS with
US
> ground ...
>

>>> but a lot of it is only  when they are over ground stations, mostly in
> Russia.
>
> Most of their comms is via their TDRS satellites on SHF and wideband
> digital.
>

> I have heard the 143.625 freq on occasions but not recently, also the
Ham