[TheList] Phone Jacks

Neill Ellis tgsnoopy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 16:24:38 AEDT 2012

Hi John,

The capacitor you describe is a 1.0 uF capacitor which I would expect
you'd find on a 2 wire jack. I'd expect a 1.8 uF cap on a true master jack.

A true master jack would also have a 470k resistor & a surge arrestor
fitted to it.

Is there a number or letter moulded into the front of the jack?

Unfortunately the options are to either change all jacks to 2-Wire jacks
or find a second hand Master Jack as they haven't been available for
quite some time.

The capacitor on your Master Jack is fine, otherwise the phone wouldn't
ring. The problem is likely to be between the red wire and it's
equivalent contact on the BT plug.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Regards,

Neill.