[TheList] Repeaters and stuff . HELP!!

Ian Stewart nzlegs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 09:03:10 AEDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Tim Devaney <timdevaneynz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just have a question about freqs . I am looking at PIB 23 and I can see
> channels with just a single freq listed which I take are Simplex Channels ,
> then there are channels listed as BASE TX CHANNEL and MOBILE TX CHANNEL
> with a different freq listed IE ESB77 141.96250 ESB77# 138.96250 now my
> understanding is this is a repeater channel and how it works is , the radio
> transmits on 138.96250 which is the channel the repeater is on it then
> retransmits the msg on 141.96250 so IE the TX on the radio would be
> 138.96250 and the RX would be 141.96250 . Is this correct or am I totally
> wrong here . Can someone please advise .
>
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> *Tim Devaney
> *

> The correct 'technical term' for this is 'a half duplex repeater' system.
The mobile operator transmits on frequency 'A'. The repeater has a receiver
on frequency 'A' and retransmits this on frequency 'B' to other mobiles who
have a receiver on frequency 'B'.
It is called 'half duplex' because only one person can transmit at once.
You may perhaps be familiar with 'full duplex' systems, they are called
'telephones' as opposed to 'radio telephones' which use 'half duplex'
system normally. Cellphones are of course 'full duplex' (just to complicate
the issue.)