[TheList] FW: Fw: Car Locking - Just in case

Neill Ellis tgsnoopy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 05:57:29 AEDT 2012

Hi John,

If your car alarm is reasonably modern I'd say it won't work.

Modern alarms receive rolling codes from the remotes. The Alarm system
knows the last rolling code received from each remote programmed in and
a repeat of that code will not activate the alarm. That's why you need
to change the batteries very quickly (before the capacitor in parallel
with the battery goes flat) on some brands of remotes or they'll stop
working (because it then doesn't know the last code it sent).

It's possible that a particular brand of alarms software had been
compromised, but I've never heard of it happening.

I would say this may have applied some time ago, but not with most name
brand alarms produced in about the last 8 years.

Couldn't find it on Snopes at all,

Suggest reading this reference:

<http://skepticdetective.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/thirty-years-ago-maybe/>

Regards,