[TheList] RFI

Neill Ellis tgsnoopy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:54:22 AEST 2012

Hi John,

They are loading coils. There is a formula RC=LG, the point when loss in
a cable is minimum, the inductance bit is hard to achieve so they add
coils at something like 1.5km points along the cable. Sometimes the
point might have been too close to and end terminal and they'd add
capacitors across the pairs to achieve the correct impedance. From
memory 44mH was for subscribers on smaller gauge cable, the 88mH for
trunk cables between exchanges with larger gauge cables.

Trouble with loading cables is they form a low pass filter, 3.5 to 6 kHz
cutoff from memory.

I still recall the arguments with cable jointers over the first PCM
(2.048 Megabits) systems going up SH36 (Pyes Pa Rd). The DC feed to the
first regenerator was intact but the loss was huge and we couldn't get
the systems to work. They said we've removed the loading coils and
eventually an echoflex revealed a lovely big reflection, at the distance
of the reflection they found loading coils that weren't on the plan.

Made earlier problems with the PUE2 Negistors make sense, but that's a
whole new topic.

Regards,

Neill ZL1TAJ.