[TheList] Plan Change 74 Telecommunications Structures

Chris Hellyar chris at logicalit.biz
Sat Apr 14 06:41:37 AEST 2012

Hi,

Without giving any detail, is the primary contention that submitters
didn't want towers next door, or that they are worried about growing an
arm out of their forehead?

Reading the decision report for Wellington I got the impression that the
process there was robust and the NZART/ham submissions were on the whole
well received and clear changes were made to wording of the proposed
changes.  The Lattice tower decisions were probably not what was sought
but even in the ham space they are a minority activity due to cost and
mechanical/technical realities of putting one up so I'd thing it's not
that much of an issue is it?

John, do you have a link / reference for bringing this up yesterday?
The Wellington city council website on active plan changes does not show
if/why the WCC are challenging the notified decision:

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/plans/district/planchanges/planchange74.html

Our district plan down here (Selwyn DC) allows for 'utility structures'
of 25m high in rural areas with a fairly generous profile allowance.
When I last looked (June 2010) there were no specific mention of Aerials
or Hams at all.  I got a written confirmation from the council that an
aerial/tower was a utility structure and covered by the 25m limit.

As it happens, I then didn't put up anything due to the earthquakes down
here somewhat changing my priorities for me but that's a common theme
really.

Cheers, Chris H.