[TheList] ANPR cameras

Hayden Corney haydenc2 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:45:37 AEDT 2011

Hi,

 Snapped the attached photo of an ANPR van parked on State Highway 1 at the
weigh station just north of Plimmerton in the Wellington region last
weekend.

 There are two weigh stations here, one on each side, (ANPR van was parked
in southbound weigh station) with the median barrier in the center of the
road preventing traffic turning around, and so there were police cars ready
to pull out of each weigh station in both directions. Presumably this means
the van was able to read number plates in both directions, with a high
enough vantage to see northbound vehicles plates over the median barrier.

 With the traffic flows going past there, they must be checking plates at a
huge rate. I wonder whether there checks are just for stolen cars/cars of
interest, or if they are checking everything including expired
regos/warrants etc. I wonder what the success rate of the number plate
recognition is, and how many number plates it misses.

Cheers,
Hayden