[TheList] NZ Police Network may not be that secure...

Scanhead scanhead at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:44:09 AEST 2011

The issue is not that the encryption is broken or there is a way to listen
in, its that the network is vulnerable to denial of service attacks with
very low cost equipment and detecting an attack is difficult.

Looks like they cant fix it without deviating from the P25 standard. This
new attack method corrupts data to make decoding impossible and can also be
targeted, so attackers could jam just encrypted traffic (and not touch data
"in the clear"), a particular radio or the whole network. Also an attacker
could force radios to transmit data,
potentially identifying covert activities.

Another interesting point made in the research report is that the
implementation of the encryption is possibly flawed due to the nature of
two-way radio communications.