[TheList] Christchurch Ambulance now digital

Scanhead scanhead at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 12:54:37 AEST 2011

Perhaps the confusion is because the police are using ESB band with P25
trunking as the replacement for ESA... Which is normally
(and probably still) where ambo operates.

Can anyone confirm that current digital scanners are still not able to
follow tait P25 trunked? From memory it was to do with the data rate of the
control channel (could be wrong). I could get unencrypted voice with my
uniden digital but was never able to follow the conversation. Thats why I
started looking at software radio etc.

It is ironic that the P25 system came into being because of a need for radio
systems and services to inter-communicate, and now it is
what separates them. Some will argue that P25 radios can communicate with
the old analog systems (mixed mode), but I've been told this is not possible
with a trunked system. (again, could be wrong)

So what are the advantages of P25 over analog if secure communication is not
an issue?

Scanhead.