[TheList] APCO25

Neill Ellis tgsnoopy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 19:56:12 AEST 2011

I was being terribly naughty, I used my gas soldering iron on the MDF
(main Distribution Frame) at Mount Maunganui Exchange. The tech who
arrived whilst I was doing so told me off and went into the switchroom.
A few minutes later the VESDA went off, I glanced up and saw it was the
switchroom and not the MDF's zone that had triggered and continued as I
was. The tech came out and proceeded to rip me a new one, at which point
I assumed he'd been smoking outside & just came in. It didn't take me
long to see the smoke coming out of the switchroom. I applied the power
contact warning notices to the MDF before heading into the exchange and
starting to pull multiple line cards (there is more to that story, I did
it properly, pity the other tech didn't, yet he being superior to me,
did blame me and got away with it).

About 2 km's away 230/400V mains was in contact with a 100 pair cable in
a fire.

All the MOV's on the line cards were erupting in flames.

It was an interesting day.

He never did apologise for falsely accusing me, I didn't mind, I was
breaking the rules, but I knew I got an audible alert before it did
anything drastic. Pity he didn't own up to his own mistakes though.

For those that don't know what VESDA is, it's a Very Early Smoke
Detection Alarm. Pipes are installed that travel throughout buildings.
Close to the VESDA unit the holes are smaller, further away larger, so
each hole samples a similar amount of air throughout the whole building
in a uniform manner. The air is passed through an extremely sensitive
detector that's based on a radioactive isotope and detects products of
combustion.

Funny the things you remember that previously you'd forgotten.

Thanks for prompting that Dennis.

Regards,

Neill.

On 23/04/2011 8:35 p.m., Denis Dawson wrote:
> I remember trying to set up a VESDA system at a TV site in OZ - far north
> Queensland.   When it went off it opened the main MCB and took out the whole
> site, several commercial TVs and lots of FMs. Took us ages to figure out
> there was a bushfire something like 20KMs away causing the smoke. Quick
> solution to sample the outside air first...
> Denis

>>> 141.1750
>>> 141.2625
>>> 143.2750