[TheList] TV shutdown, are we likely to get 6m back?

Mike Trump zl3tpq at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 19:14:26 AEST 2010

Guys,
There has been an announcement that the analouge TV service will be turned off in 2013.
As a Ham radio operator, I'm watching this with some trepidation.
We have been restricted by RSM in using the 6 metre band because of TV One needing to translate or transmit in this part of the spectrum.
I find this rather strange, when you consider that TV One is sent to AshVegas here on two different frequencies, 62.2500 MHz and (the better signal) 175.250 MHz.
Ask yourself, is this efficient use of our spectrum?

There has been talk in the media about these "spare" frequencies, being used for "ultra-fast broadband", Umm OK, I'm not sure that we're all on the same page here.
Since when would a frequency like 62 MHz be used for broadband?

We've never been allowed to use 6 metres down here without a "special permit" (one of these I have) and you are not allowed to operate on this band within the "Prime time"
veiwing time of television users.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Mike T.